Diamond Cove is a year-round island community covering 193 acres and is located on Great Diamond Island in Casco Bay. The Diamond Cove pier is located just 2 miles from downtown Portland and can be reached by Casco Bay Lines ferry, water taxi, and private boat.
Diamond Cove has attracted artists and vacationers for more than 200 years. Notable visitors included Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and Harriet Beecher Stowe. Some even trace the beginning of landscape art to early paintings of Diamond Cove.
By the turn of the century, Diamond Cove had switched its allegiance from art to the U.S. Army. The heart of Diamond Cove is Fort McKinley, designed to defend Portland Harbor during the Spanish-American War. Built between 1891 and 1907, Fort McKinley housed more than 1,000 soldiers in brick barracks and Queen Anne-style officers’ quarters surrounding a stately parade ground. The fort was retired from active service in 1945.
Historic Fort McKinley has been restored to its original elegance and are now beautiful residences. Barracks and Officer’s Quarters have become gracious homes with slate roofs, wooden porches, grand staircases and fireplaces. The former Quartermaster's storehouse is now home to Diamond’s Edge Restaurant, a 5-star restaurant operated seasonally. Other historic buildings house a general store, art gallery, and museum. Diamond Cove is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, and every effort is made to preserve its architectural integrity. In addition to the historic homes on the Fort, there are private lots that stretch along the coast of the Cove. Exquisite homes are built on spacious acreage with breathtaking oceanfront views. Land is also available for building your own island home.
The island offers beautiful views of Casco Bay and the mainland, several secluded private beaches, walking trails, acres of old-growth forest, and some of the most spectacular sunsets around. All of this and it is just 2 miles from Portland, with easy access to interstate highways, bus and rail connections, and a major airport. Diamond Cove is unsurpassed as a vacation retreat and a haven for homeowners.
Enjoyment is a way of life at Diamond Cove, featuring:
- Heated swimming pool
- Miles of scenic walking trails
- 5 sheltered private beaches
- Two tennis courts
- Administration Building: offices, meeting space, mailroom
- Fitness Center with free weights, nautilus, treadmills, stair master, and rowing machine
- Original indoor basketball court
- Duckpin bowling in a restored turn-of-the-century bowling alley
- Arcade and billiard tables
- General Store: www.diamondcovestore.com with sundries, beer, wine, snacks, sandwiches, pizza & fresh lobster
- Full-service marina with deep water slips for large sailboats and motor boats
- Diamond's Edge Restaurant: www.diamondsedge.com 5-star restaurant operated seasonally and located just off the Diamond Cove pier.
- Diamond Cove Gallery: art gallery exhibiting works from local artists
- Fort McKinley Museum: displaying artifacts and photographs from the historic Fort McKinley
- Shuttle bus service on the island to and from your home to the ferry dock
- Grocery delivery available from town right to your door.
Visit www.diamondcove.com to find out more about Diamond Cove.